Monday, August 08, 2005

Writing Prompt: "I Was Listening to Something I Heard Before"

I find it amazing how music can transport us into another time. I was watching VH1 Classic one night (God, I'm so old) and a video for this cheesy '80s love song appeared - one that I absolutely LOVED as a teenager, one that I listened to over and over again, one of hundreds that I applied to my situation with the boy I crushed on for five years, off and on, of course.

Even hearing it almost 20 years later (once again - God, I'm getting old), I sat on the couch and almost smelled the scent in my bedroom during that time - which probably consisted of Love's Baby Soft or one of the brand-name knockoffs ("If You Like Giorgio, You'll Love..."). Those same emotions swam back within reach - the longing for someone right under my nose whom I talked to every day but never realized (or wouldn't realize or didn't care about) my feelings, the tears of frustration and the fear of never being romantically involved with him (which, by the way, is what happened and somehow the world didn't end), the elation after a day when we flirted or shared what I thought was a MOMENT.

The rush of all those feelings coming back to me was unbelievable. Some would say that they would never want to have that happen, but I welcome that nostalgia with open arms because it provides the fuel for my creative fire.

P.S. - I reserve the right to withhold the name of the song on the grounds that I will receive numerous comments ridiculing me for my taste in music (*cough* from husband *cough*).

2 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

I remember Love's Baby Soft perfume, do they still make that? It smelled sooo good!
Music is amazing. All I have to do is hear a familiar song & I can recall exact places, people, conversations, clothes, smells, etc. Just like you wrote about. Where would we be without it?
Great post.

8/09/2005 12:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am just wondering what song. lol I can hear a song from way back when and remember all kinds of stuff. ;)

8/10/2005 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home