Saturday, July 30, 2005

Oh to Be Able to Eat Like Hummingbirds!





So the hummingbirds have been feasting off the feeder on my deck. Actually, one of them is hogging all the goods, and as you look at the pictures, I'm sure you'll be able to tell which one it is! :-)

They were fighting all afternoon, zooming around the back yard and all over the deck. One tried to come eat, but the fat one ran it off. Then another one perched to eat and the fat one came back to run it off. I think they're trying to double team her. I know it's a female because the males have red throats. There is a male who eats there regularly, I'll try to get a picture of him at some point.

Although, one will run the other off for eating there, but none of these hummingbirds will run off the wasps that try to get to the food. I had to go out on the deck this afternoon with the flyswatter to get rid of the pesky bug. Then pulling off the flyswatter makes the dog get in her house. Why I don't know, no one has ever raised that swatter at her, much less hit her with it!

3 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

hi carla,
is the hummingbird feeding her babies? i use a spray bottle to get rid of flying insects cuz i won't get close enough to get em with a fly swatter.
enjoyed reading about the birds :)

7/31/2005 2:34 AM  
Blogger SappyChick said...

Not sure if the hummingbird is feeding babies. I had an easy enough time getting the wasp out of there with the flyswatter.

7/31/2005 1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are very nice pics! I wish I could see more of them around here. :(

8/07/2005 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home