Thursday, September 01, 2005

Quotes About Writing for September

Well, I'm now into my fifth month of blogging, and I'm still loving it. I love having an outlet for my writing. I love having people across the country and even overseas read what I'm writing. I love that there are seven other bloggers that enjoy my stuff enough to add me to their blogroll (not including a couple of family members and friends). So I don't have any plans to end this anytime soon!

And now that another month has come along, so I give you this month's quotes about writing:

"Writing accurate details doesn't mean your writing has to be factual, but the specificity of detail is what brings your writing to life." - Judy Reeves.

"Some people don't really bother much with remembering; it seems such a useless activity. But most writers are addicted to it." - Alice Munro

"When you walk into a room and you get a certain feeling or emotion, remember back until you see exactly what it was that gave you the emotion. Remember what the noises and smells were and what was said. Then write it down, making it clear so the reader will see it too, and have the same feeling you had." - Ernest Hemingway

"To write simply is as difficult as to be good." - W. Somerset Maugham

"The unconscious creates, the ego edits." - Stanley Kunitz

"Music has often created the wellspring out of which my imaginative efforts have sprung." - William Stryon

"As a writer, when you're with your own kind your writing is taken seriously, there is respect for the work that goes unspoken; no need for explaining or proving yourself." - Judy Reeves

"The impulse for much writing is homesickness. You are trying to get back home, and in your writing you are invoking that home, so you are assuaging the homesickness." - Joan Didion

"Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness." - Allen Ginsberg

"You have to be immensely daring, very skilled and imaginative, and willing to tell everything on yourself." - Raymond Carver

"Don't be afraid of giving yourself away for if you write you must. And if you can't face that, better not write." - Katherine Anne Porter

1 Comments:

Blogger Sydney said...

thats funny, I like the ginsburg quote. I am always wondering before i post something - should I REALLY post this. it is too much, should i really let that out, say that?

9/03/2005 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home