Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Writing Prompt: Write About a December Memory

I slept on the couch in my parents' living room the night before I got married. I couldn't let Danny see me before our wedding, and he was at our apartment. My best friend and matron of honor, Tiffany, was in the living room with me, sleeping on the love seat. We got up that morning, and before we started getting ready for the bridal brunch, the phone rang. It was Danny, asking if I happened to remember where I last saw our wedding rings. I knew our rings were still in the bag from the place where we bought them and our marriage license was in the bag with the rings, but that was all I knew.

Early in our relationship, we realized that if something needed to be held on to, it was best if Danny took care of it. I always seem to find this black hole to put things in, where they disappear, probably to some parallel universe or to that place where mismatched socks hide. And I swear this "hole" is NOT a trash can.

So the fact that Danny couldn't find something he put away terrified me. He assured me that everything was okay because he still had places to look, but in my mind, the worry seed had been planted. While I enjoyed myself at the bridal brunch, subconsciously I was watering that worry seed, fertilizing it with all the undesirable scenarios that I believed would ruin my wedding day and pulling up the weeds of rational thought that tried to kill my anxiety.

As soon as the brunch guests left, I was on my cell phone calling Danny. He had no good news. He had not found the bag, and his grandparents were on their way over to help him look. Then the worry seed bloomed into a full-blown panic complete with tears. After a half-hour, I decided I could no longer just sit and wait; I headed to the apartment to start looking myself. Our wedding day had already gotten off to a rocky start - how much more harm could be done by him seeing me before the wedding?

I called Danny from my cell phone to tell him that I was coming. His grandparents were there, and later, Danny told me that they had planned to keep me downstairs and him upstairs for tradition's sake.

When I was literally two minutes from the apartment, Danny called. His grandfather had found the bag in the drawer NEXT to the one where Danny was certain he had put it. The crisis was over, and no traditions had been broken. The rest of the day went off without a single glitch - unless you count his father showing up drunk and wearing a corduroy jacket with sleeves that were too long and a tie that came only about halfway down his beer belly. At least he didn't make a scene. Of course, we get a good laugh out of his choice of outfits by doing our best Oliver Hardy impersonation.

Honestly, I don't know how some couples get married early in the day. Ours was at 6 pm, and I swear, if it had been any earlier, I wouldn't have made it, especially considering what happened!

2 Comments:

Blogger M said...

:)

All's well after all.

9/07/2005 11:35 AM  
Blogger Sydney said...

I had a gorgeous wedding. The wedding day itself was nerve wracking and awful. Thank God the wedding was at 7pm.

...Divorce at 1pm a few years later. Oh well. I was the bad part of the 50 percent.

9/10/2005 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home