Wednesday, September 21, 2005

NOT Coming to Bath and Body Works Anytime Soon


...Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser. Know why it won't be showing up there? Because it freaking smells horribly. Oh sure, if you want to go around with the scent of High Karate mixed with Bactine wafting around you, I suppose there's some market for that somewhere, but I have no idea where it would be. And I'm not interested in finding it either.

I had to shower with this stuff Monday night and Tuesday morning before the surgery. I know, I know, it helps prevent infection, and for that I'm eternally grateful; however, I can't stand the smell.

Surgery went okay. The hubby was calm but quiet and worried. Hearing that there was the remote possibility of having to completely open up my abdomen to remove the gall bladder didn't help ease his anxiety, but I made the surgeon reassure him that those instances were extremely rare. They were 40 minutes late coming to take me to the OR - not sure what the delay was all about, unless it was meant to annoy me, which it succeeded.

So I was wheeled into the OR, given some lovely drugs to make me not care where I was and then told to breathe some oxygen through this plastic mask thing. Oxygen my ass. Next thing I knew I was in the recovery area. They gave me some pain medication, but it must have been too much, because the machine next to my head would beep and a nurse would tell me to take in deep breaths. I wasn't the only one having difficulty staying awake. Other nurses were telling other patients to do the same thing.

Danny and I got home around 3:30. I ate some Jell-O, drank some ginger ale, and settled down for a nice nap. I slept 'til about 7:00 then sat in the living room until 10:00 and watched My Name Is Earl and The Office, which are both hilarious.

This morning I've eaten a bowl of grits - the southerner's oatmeal - and I'm trying to walk a few laps in the house every once in a while. The doctor says staying sedentary increases the risk of blood clots and pneumonia, and I'd really like to try and avoid that.

3 Comments:

Blogger zandperl said...

You must have a highly tuned sense of smell because I use hibiclens a few times a week (for a bacteria-related skin condition) and never noticed any odor, and I've never heard anyone else complain of it. Or maybe it's b/c you had to use it in large quantities?

Glad the surgery went well!

9/21/2005 6:38 PM  
Blogger SappyChick said...

Maybe that's it, I had to wash with it all over my body the night before and the morning of surgery. Whatever it was, I didn't find it appealing at all!

9/21/2005 10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm very very very glad it went well, and hopefully danny is breathing calmly now too. oh, and the office was damn hilarious last night. i wish i had taped it.

- courtney

9/22/2005 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home